Sunday, July 22, 2007

Fear

"The terrorists are coming to kill us,
They want our way of life to end,
We must live every day in fear,
Because fear is our only friend."


This poem came from a Saturday Night Live skit with Darrell Hammond as Dick Cheney reading Valentines day cards. This poem comes from the end of the skit when he reads Lynne's card to him. Then he says "you really know the way to my heart."

But there is so much truth in this humor.

According to Hannity, Beck and Limbaugh (and others, or as I refer to them, The Axis of Evil) I must be in some kind of denial because I refuse to live my life in fear. I refuse to live in fear of Al Qaeda. Fear of Iran. Fear of whatever the government tells me I should be afraid of. I fear none of it.


I have said many times that I have more of a chance of a drunk driving plowing into me any night of the week than dying at the hands of Al Qaeda.


We are told now, that Al Qaeda is back to pre-9/11 strength and, they are probably going to strike again, and probably soon. After all, Secretary Chertoff had a "gut feeling" (I get a gut feeling too - it's called nausea, and it comes from the incompetency of the people running our country)


The attack will most likely come from elements on the Pakistan/Afghanistan border, where Al Qaeda has "reconstituted" itself.


It is pretty interesting that the Administration would have you to believe that the war in Iraq is going to somehow magically prevent this from happening. People simply must begin to look more critically at the Administration's claims regarding the Global War on Terror. NOTHING done in Iraq to date is going to prevent another terrorist attack on our soil.

In fact, it makes it more likely that a more dangerous attack will come because of the "practical experience" gained by operatives in Iraq.


Do I think that Al Qaeda is capable of causing harm to this country? Absolutely. I have never believed anything otherwise.

Do I fear them as the biggest threat to this country? Hardly. The biggest threat to this country is going to come from within. With the next big attack (it might not have to even be a big attack, maybe just a few car bombs), the possibility exists that we'll go to martial law. Or that citizens will panic and demand that the government "do something", which they will be too glad to comply with (like tying it somehow to Iran and getting an excuse to make war with Iran). Or more of our civil liberties will be eroded.

We must live every day in fear? You can, but I will not.

No comments: